Health care reform continues to evolve from the Health and Human Services office, the architects behind the Affordable Care Act. On August 1, 2011, the HHS announced additional preventive care services that will soon be covered by health plans for women. While many of the services mentioned in the report are already covered, there were a few surprises. Effective on or after August 1st, 2012, all health care plans must include coverage at no cost (no co-payments, coinsurance, deductibles, etc.) for the following services:
• Well woman visits covered annually
• Screening for gestational diabetes – covered between 24 and 28 weeks and immediately for high risk patients
• HPV tests should be begin at age 30 and covered every 3 years
• Annually counseling for sexually transmitted diseases
• Contraception approved methods by the FDA.
• Breastfeeding support, supplies and counseling – in conjunction with each birth
• Screening for interpersonal and domestic violence on an annual basis
Remember, any new expansions of coverage will not occur until your group health care plan renews on or after August 1st, 2012. Some services such as annual well visits and gestational diabetes is already covered. Please feel free to calls should you have any questions concerning health care reform.
Please visit http://www.hrsa.gov/womensguidelines/ for more information.